The causes of anal itching
PROCTOLOGY – 2009
Anal itching – a painful condition in which the patient is marked persistent itching and irritation in the anus. Anal itching is now considered a fairly common disease.
Anal itching – this is not an independent disease, but only a symptom, which may be based on a number of reasons. In most cases, patients with anal itch does not have any bowel disease.
At present, anal itching is divided into "primary" (true, cryptogenic, idiopathic anal itching) and "secondary", which is usually a sign of another disease, such as helminthic infestations (especially true for children!), Hemorrhoids, inflammatory diseases the rectum (proctitis, sigmoid), constipation and diarrhea (which are irritating to the skin around the anus), anal fissure.
Among the causes of anal itching can also detect fungal lesions in the sacrococcygeal region. Anal itching can also be an early sign of latent diabetes mellitus.
The cause of anal itching is often the primary is simply unknown.
The causes of anal itching
- Idiopathic pruritus. In this case, any apparent cause of this form does not itch. It is usually associated with a reduction in the ability of the anal sphincter of the anus to retain fluid, causing the mucus from the rectum can get on the skin around the anus, causing irritation to her.
- Dryness of the skin. In old age, marked dryness of the skin, including around the anus. Such dryness causes constant irritation and pruritus ani.
- Excessive moisture of the skin around the anus. This condition occurs when excessive sweating of the skin, with frequent diarrhea and fecal incontinence.
- Excessive irritation of the external factors. For example, too rough toilet paper, sponge. The remains of soap and other hygiene products may also cause anal itching.
- Chemical stimuli. Some personal hygiene, such as soap, shower gel, perfumes, as well as contraceptives or treatments for hemorrhoids (candles, ointments) may cause skin irritation around the anus.
- Food stimuli. Anal itching may be a result of stimulation of certain chemicals in some foods, such as sharp spices. Similarly, some foods may directly or indirectly irritate the anus during defecation.
- Some proctologic or gynecological diseases: hemorrhoids , fistulas adrectal, anal fissures, warts , purulent hydradenitis (inflammation of the sweat gland), tumors, disruption of the anal sphincter, vaginal discharge.
- Diseases of the skin such as psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, atopic eczema, lichen planus, etc.
- Local irritation of the skin around the anus due to the use of ointments, deodorants, powders, soaps, rectal suppositories (suppositories), etc.
- Infection, including fungal (Candida), bacteria (for scratching).
- Parasitic diseases such as helminthic infestation (pinworm), trichomoniasis, scabies, pubic lice.
- Some antibiotics such as tetracycline, erythromycin, etc., as well as drugs, which is a side effect of diarrhea.
- Some systemic diseases: diabetes, liver disease.
- Poor personal hygiene.
- Psychogenic causes: constant worry, etc.
- Excessive use of laxatives.
The manifestation of anal itching
Usually this disease itching – only complaint is that the patient presents. Itching often occurs at night and interfere with normal sleep. Due to the constant scratching the skin around the anus becomes reddened, irritated. With prolonged, chronic course of the disease the skin around the anus become rough, irritated, or thinner. When expressed serious scratching the skin is damaged and can join an infection.
In terms of clinical course of pruritus ani may be divided into acute and chronic.
For the acute form of anal itching is typical sudden onset, stability, expressed in intensity. There are local changes of the skin around the anus to the type of moist eczema, there is a maceration of the skin. On examination, the doctor can see signs of scratching.
For chronic itch is, by contrast, is characterized by a slow start. The skin around the anus is usually dry, it is often thinned (it can be compared with parchment paper). In some cases, the skin of this region is devoid of its characteristic pigment. Traces of scratching is not visible.
CENTER PROCTOLOGY Professor PROMA – GERMANY
SURGICAL DIVISION CB 6 RZD – MOSCOW
Examination and treatment in GERMANY – Institute "DIAGNOSTIX"
AID IN THE TREATMENT –
Diagnosis of anal itching
Treatment of anal itching
Incoming search terms:
- anal irritation